Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and mustard; cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in cheese and milk just until moistened.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 26-28 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 13, 2013
Aug 10, 2013
I have made these biscuits a couple times and loved them for their ease, but the biscuit seemed too dry and crumbly. To remedy this, I added 2 tbsp. of softened butter with the shortening. Make certain to mix well. I baked them in muffin tins since the batter was more runny. I didn't grease the tins since they were nonstick and there was extra butter in the recipe. The muffins came out with a cornmeal crust that is slightly crunchy and they weren't dry - didn't even need butter. My husband liked this version much better.
Feb 15, 2013
These turned out wonderful. The only thing I did different is I used butter instead of shortening. Will definitely be making these again.
Apr 14, 2011
So easy and good! My favorite kind of biscuit, anyway.
Apr 22, 2008
Fabulous... these turn out amazing every time!