Favorite Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 large carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound small onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in oil. Combine the salt, pepper and thyme; sprinkle over meat. Add bay leaf and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions. Cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat from pan juices; add enough water to pan juices to measure 2 cups. In a bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast; serve with vegetables and gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Favorite Pot Roast
Sort By :
"Basic, but tasty. Onions replaced due to allergy by minced garlic to taste."
"I usually do roast beef in the crockpot or oven, and this was the first time for cooking it on the stove-top. It was very good. I added some fresh rosemary to the gravy at the end to give it more flavor. I use cornstarch to thicken my gravies, and I found the flour made it look light. Is this where the browning sauce comes in? I couldn't find it at the store. Overall, a good and easy recipe which just takes time."
"This is an easy, delicious, recipe that I have used over and over again. Thanks for keeping this recipe online because I no longer have my first issues of Quick Cooking."
"I add a can of mushrooms to the meat while it is cooking. This has become a favorite."