Favorite Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 large carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound small onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in oil. Combine the salt, pepper and thyme; sprinkle over meat. Add bay leaf and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions. Cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat from pan juices; add enough water to pan juices to measure 2 cups. In a bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast; serve with vegetables and gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Favorite Pot Roast(4)
Sort By :
Basic, but tasty. Onions replaced due to allergy by minced garlic to taste.
I usually do roast beef in the crockpot or oven, and this was the first time for cooking it on the stove-top. It was very good. I added some fresh rosemary to the gravy at the end to give it more flavor. I use cornstarch to thicken my gravies, and I found the flour made it look light. Is this where the browning sauce comes in? I couldn't find it at the store. Overall, a good and easy recipe which just takes time.
This is an easy, delicious, recipe that I have used over and over again. Thanks for keeping this recipe online because I no longer have my first issues of Quick Cooking.
I add a can of mushrooms to the meat while it is cooking. This has become a favorite.