- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each sesame, caraway and poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Combine salt, onion and seeds; sprinkle over bread. Bake 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (25 slices).
Reviews for Everything Bread
Sort By :
"Delicious. Added 1/2 tsp onion powder to the dough and it tasted just like an onion bagel. One of the best breads I've ever made. Used my bread machine to mix the dough, and needed to add about an extra cup of flour. I agree that you don't need all the salt. Too salty."
"I liked the bread very much, however I found the teaspoon of salt a bit too much. Next time I would omit it from the topping, and just use the seeds and dried onions. I also liked the addition of dried garlic flakes. A great accompaniment to a hearty soup."
"Fantastic bread. Flavorful and beautiful. It was an easy recipe to follow. Blogged about it on my blog cutterlight.com. Thank you for the recipe."
"Great bread recipe."
"Absolutely awesome bread! Husband can't get enough. Only differences I did was to use fat free milk and for the topping - kosher salt, minced garlic and crushed up Frenches onions. Will diffently make again and again! Also used my bread machines dough cycle, and a total of 5 cups of flour."