I've had this recipe since 1938, when the girls I worked with game me a bridal shower. One of their presents was a recipe box filled with their favorites. Inside, I found this recipe, and I've used it for just about every occasion since. They're always well received.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, dates and nuts. Add the eggs, butter and vanilla; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be very stiff).
- Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool bars on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Date Nut Bars in Reminisce Extra June 1994, p49
Reviews for Date Nut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review