- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup water. Toss with a fork (if dough is dry, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until dough forms a ball). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 11-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 5-in. x 1/2-in. strips. Carefully twist each strip and place on greased baking sheets, pressing ends down.
- Bake at 425° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately sprinkle twists with Parmesan cheese. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Crisp Cheese Twists
Sort By :
Very easy and yummy!
These were excellent, except I used cookie cutters to make little cracker-like stars and circles. They weren't the right consistency for cutting and twisting. They would have broken apart if I tried that, which is the reason why I used a cookie cutter instead. However, taste wise they are excellent. Don't even need a spread or dip! Very cheesy and would be even better if you sprinkled a bit of cayenne pepper for some kick.