Angie Schramm from Yankton, South Dakota makes this comforting soup year-round...and after a few spoonfuls, you'll likely do the same. Pecans, ham and carrots are a few of the ingredients that will have you asking for more.
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Green onion, cut into thin strips, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions, carrot and pecans in butter for 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the ham, pepper and wild rice. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Reduce heat. Add cream and heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with green onion if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Wild Rice Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p53
Reviews forCreamy Wild Rice Soup with Ham
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 28, 2015
"Delicious. I usually add a bit more shredded carrot."
Reviewed Jan. 6, 2015
"Really good... pretty easy... love the pecans in it, the crunch was perfect... very hearty. Will make again."