A traditional cooked custard base is the key to this creamy ice cream with rich vanilla flavor. "It is a family favorite that has been handed down and enjoyed for generations," writes Mary Thompson of Minneapolis, Minnesota. "Whenever we serve it, we get lots of requests for the recipe."
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches at least 160°. Remove from the heat; cool quickly by setting pan in ice and stirring the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or freeze immediately. When ready to freeze, pour custard and vanilla into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer. Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Yield: about 1-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p61
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review