- 1 package (16 ounces) pound cake mix
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour half of the pumpkin mixture into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle half over the batter. Carefully spread with remaining batter. Sprinkle with remaining topping (pan will be full).
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Pumpkin Coffee Cake
"Perfect as is. A hit with everyone."
"This was a great recipe! It was very moist and tasty. The only thing I did was add a 1/2 a cup of pumpkin morsels and drizzled the cake with a glaze. This is a keeper!"
"delicious! Followed the recipe, as-is."
"Easy to make, delicious to eat! Will make this again for sure."
"I first had made it when it was featured in quick Cooking, March/April 2005. I just topped the batter with the topping-I didn't layer it! I was pleased with the results! This is a great recipe to use and I thank you, Sarah, for sharing it! delowenstein"
"Very simple to make. Nice taste, not too sweet! Definetly a hit at my house!!"
"Easy to make and everyone loved it."
"This we absolutely delicious. I had an almond flavored pound cake, and I added some golden raisins in the mix. I also was a bit generous w/ the pumpkin as we had a lot left over from another recipe. I will definitely make this again!"
"Easy and delicious! Made this, but froze it for later. What a great recipe. Everyone loved it and one friend loved it so much she showed up the next day with a self addressed envelope for me to send her it."