- 1 package (16 ounces) pound cake mix
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour half of the pumpkin mixture into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle half over the batter. Carefully spread with remaining batter. Sprinkle with remaining topping (pan will be full).
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Pumpkin Coffee Cake
"This was a great recipe! It was very moist and tasty. The only thing I did was add a 1/2 a cup of pumpkin morsels and drizzled the cake with a glaze. This is a keeper!"
"delicious! Followed the recipe, as-is."
"Easy to make, delicious to eat! Will make this again for sure."
"I have prepared this coffee cake before! I first had made it when it was featured in Quick Cooking, March/Aapril 2005. I prepared it again and I've adjusted it as follows: I used a regular yellow cake mix, 1 cup canned pumpkin with 1/3 cup water, and I used 1-1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg and 1/2 tsp. cloves. I baked the cake in a 13x9x2" greased and floured baking pan for 45 minutes. I did prepare the topping, but I used 1/4 cup butter, melted, 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. I just topped the batter with the topping-I didn't layer it! I was pleased with the results! This is a great recipe to use and I thank you, Sarah, for sharing it! delowenstein"
"I prepared this cake before, but I made it again 10/5/13! I did make adjustments on this recipe: I used a regular yellow cake mix, 1 cup canned pumpkin with 1/3 cup water, and for pumpkin pie spice, I used 1-1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and 1/2 tsp. ground cloves. For topping: I used 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. 1 to 1-1/2 ground cinnamon can be added to topping ingredients! I baked the cake in a 13x9x2" greased and floured pan for 45 minutes & I didn't layer the batter/topping! I just used the topping for the TOP of the cake! This recipe, using a 13x9x2" cake pan yields 12 to 16 servings! Thank you for sharing this recipe, Sarah! Dawn E. Lowenstein"