- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, butter and vanilla. Pour into prepared shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut Cream Angel Pie
Sort By :
Added 1 cup of coconut
Will double meringue next time
My FIRST pie with meringue!!! It's all my husband wanted for this Thanksgiving...and I was bound and determined to do it. It turned out PERFECT! Seriously. He loved it. The directions are perfect for first timers. HOWEVER...when it says to spread it all the way to the edge of the pie...DO IT! Make it go over to make sure. One spot was not covered correctly...and it separated. I also did my meringue in a glass bowl that was in the fridge before making it (per my mothers suggestion). Perfect perfect perfect!!!!
Both my husband and I love Coconut Cream Pie. This is a very good recipe and we absolutely loved it. I made it twice in one week! I will be making this recipe over and over again. Definitely a keeper!!!
My dad's favorite pie is coconut. I have never made a meringue pie before but I tried this for his birthday this year. He said it was probably the best one he has ever had!!! Needless to say it didn't last long and I will be making it a lot in the future!
I have made this twice already in the last week. Delicious !!! Everybody loved it!