- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cream of tartar, nutmeg, orange and lemon peel and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews for Cinnamon Crackle Cookies
"I changed the recipe a little since I didn't have the lemon and orange zest. They still turned out great. I will be making these cookies again and again, especially for the holidays."
"I agree, similar to a gingersnap. Chilling the dough is a good suggestion. These cookies constantly disappear from the cookie jar. Next time, I will not bake as long. I like them a little softer. But the flavor - oh my goodness! Fabulous!"
"I have been making these for some years, --definitely a 5-star recipe. I also sub in ginger instead of the nutmeg, because I don't like nutmeg. I also increase the cinnamon because we love the taste."
"These are similar to, but better than, gingersnaps, in my opinion. I have been baking them for years now, and they have become a staple in my cookie repertoire. I have tried many, many cookie recipes, and this remains in the top 10 of all time, possibly even the top 5. They consistently bake up perfectly every time. I cannot recommend them highly enough."
"I have made these cookies and they're a keeper in my book!"