Chocolate Thumbprints Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 26 milk chocolate kisses
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until or until easy to handle.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; dip in egg white, then roll in nuts. Place on greased baking sheets. Using a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in center of each cookie. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until center is set.
- For filling, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and vanilla; stir until smooth. Spoon or pipe 1/4 teaspoon into each warm cookie; gently press a chocolate kiss in the center. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Thumbprints Cookies
Sort By :
We loved these. We make them with pecans and rollos.
These were fantastic! I will be adding this to my Christmas cookie collection.
LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! I made them without the "frosting" and I made half of them with the Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses........OMG! To die for!!! Next time I make them, I am going to use a little extra cocoa; I didn't taste the chocolate flavor enough. Although, it may have been because I have had the cocoa for a while and I read that over time, the flavor of the cocoa diminishes. So, to compensate, I will use a little extra and of course, I will also increase the amount of sugar equally. But the cookies were delicious using the exact measurements in this recipe. I strongly recommend trying this recipe with the candy cane kisses if you like chocolate mint. I lined the cookie sheet with parchment paper to avoid the cookies from sticking to the cookie sheet and it worked like a charm! Definitely will keep this recipe and make them again and again. They were a big hit!
Fantastic , amazing recipe. I used pecans instead of walnuts and they are delicious. Excellent will may them again.
Fantastic. I was worried cause I'm not an experienced baker and the reviews seemed to indicate these were difficult. I had absolutely no trouble rolling the dough. The walnuts stuck perfectly. It was so easy my 6 year old could do it. I did find that the thumbprints puffed back out in the oven but I just pressed them down again while they were warm. I suggest waiting at least 5 minutes before filling and putting the kisses in.