Chocolate Thumbprints Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 26 milk chocolate kisses
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until or until easy to handle.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; dip in egg white, then roll in nuts. Place on greased baking sheets. Using a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in center of each cookie. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until center is set.
- For filling, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and vanilla; stir until smooth. Spoon or pipe 1/4 teaspoon into each warm cookie; gently press a chocolate kiss in the center. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Thumbprints Cookies
Sort By :
"I try to make a new recipe or two every Christmas & this one FAILED miserably! The dough is way to soft & sticky. I even added an extra 1/2 cup of flour. The taste is just OK. I will stick to my time tested regular Thumbprint recipe & add the cocoa to that recipe."
"I loved this recipe! I used dark cocoa & instead of the nuts, which my grandkids don't like I rolled them in red granulated sugar. The dark cocoa makes them very fudgy. . There are so many ways to vary this recipe."
"Took these to my Red Hat's Christmas luncheon and they were a hit."
"Can these be frozen? They look so yummy!"
"We loved these. We make them with pecans and rollos."