- 2 packages devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Red and green food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat cake mixes, eggs and oil until blended. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets and flatten slightly.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until a slight indentation remains when lightly touched. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Beat in enough confectioners' sugar to reach desired consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring.
- Spread filling on bottom of half of the cookies. Cover with remaining cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
"These added great color to the cookie tray. Tasted wonderful as well."
"Absolutely loved these cookies! Should have added a little bit more vanilla to the icing however, as there wasn't a significant vanilla taste. Will absolutely make again!"
"Great cookie. I use buttercream frosting mixed with Nutella to put cookies together. Then I pipe a holly sprig on top with colored royal icing."
"Yummy. Everyone loved these and they were so easy to make. My son and I used buttercream and cream cheese frosting from the can to make it easier. We didn't use food coloring but we sprinkled red and green sugar around the edges after putting the sandwiches together. The cookies turned out great."
"I try to get away from preservatives the best I can because of some alageries in family"
"Make these every Christmas...everyone loves them!"
"My absolute favorite cookies! I have made them numerous times and they are always amazing."