You only need a few baking staples to throw together these gooey delights. Boxed cake mix and a can of frosting make them fast, but caramel, walnuts and chocolate chips tucked inside make them memorable. We like them with ice cream. —Bev Spain, Belleville, Ohio
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 24 caramels
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Chocolate frosting and hot caramel ice cream topping
- Additional walnuts, optional
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes. Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups one-third full; set remaining batter aside. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until top of cupcake appears set.
- Gently press a caramel into each cupcake; sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts. Top with remaining batter. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with chocolate frosting and drizzle with ice cream topping. Sprinkle with additional nuts if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes in Quick Cooking March/April 2002, p15
Reviews for Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review