- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons minced chives
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and egg. Add the chives, flour, pepper sauce, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into 3/4-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook crab cakes in oil in batches over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chive Crab Cakes
Sort By :
The recipe is very easy to make and quick to fry. I think that it could use a boost in flavor, but since I'm a novice cook I don't know what I will add. Right now, it's just my fiance and myself so the recipe allows for leftovers. I also used imitation crab meat. I would recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a quick meal with decent appeal.
Beat the single egg until the white and yolk are mixed. Measure and use half. Yolks can be used in Creme Brulee.
I would like to cut this recipe in half but not sure how to divide up the eggs?