To cut down on last minute preparation, Kyle Gray chops the vegetables from this rich soup the night before and stores them in the fridge. "It has become one of our favorite comfort foods," notes the Glendale, Arizona cook.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 jar (16 ounces) process cheese sauce
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and carrots in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, mustard, paprika and Worcestershire sauce until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in chilies and Liquid Smoke if desired. Stir in cheese sauce until melted. Yield: 10 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Chili Cheese Soup in Quick Cooking November/December 2003, p13
Reviews for Chili Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review