When we have family gatherings, we give the slow cooker kitchen duty. This yummy chicken with pumpkin and apricots has the warm flavors of Morocco. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 3 cubed fresh Sugar Baby pumpkins (5 to 6 cups each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dried Turkish apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, optional
- Place pumpkin in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken thighs on all sides. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. In same skillet, saute onions and garlic 1-2 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Add next eight ingredients to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 4-5 hours. Top with parsley. If desired, serve with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Sugar Pumpkins & Apricots in Taste of Home December 2016
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken with Sugar Pumpkins & Apricots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review