Biting into these chocolaty cookies reveals they're like chewy brownies inside. —Jonie Adams, Albion, Michigan
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, water and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes; do not overbake. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chewy Brownie Cookies in Taste of Home October/November 1994, p67
Reviews for Chewy Brownie Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review