Chestnut Sausage Stuffing Recipe
I discovered this recipe in a four-generation family cookbook. I'm glad I gave it a try. It has become "the" stuffing at our holiday table. —Judi Oudekerk, Buffalo, Minnesota
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1 package (8-3/4 ounces) whole chestnuts, chopped (about 2 cups)
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the sausage, parsley, thyme and pepper. Add broth; heat through. Remove from the heat. Add bread cubes and chestnuts; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chestnut Sausage Stuffing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p66
Reviews for Chestnut Sausage Stuffing(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 16, 2011
I made this recipe 2 years ago for Thanksgiving. It is the only dressing my 2 grwon children will eat. Simple and delicious!