The addition of dried cherries and cherry preserves make these homemade granola bars a hit with all who try them. Each bar provides both a sweet pick-me-up and lasting energy. —Kevin Johnson, Glendora, California
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (12 ounces) cherry preserves
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, combine the butter, honey, eggs and vanilla. Stir into oat mixture until combined. Set aside 1-1/3 cups for topping.
- Press remaining oat mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine preserves and dried cherries; spread over crust. Sprinkle with coconut and reserved oat mixture; press down lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Oat Bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p243
Reviews for Cherry Oat Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review