- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries, undrained
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place cherries and juice in a large saucepan or Dutch oven along with water, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; place in a bowl. Cut in remaining butter with a pastry blender. Add milk and vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls over cherry mixture; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Grunt
Sort By :
Quick and easy... I used fresh cherries plus an extra 1/2 cup of cherry juice I had on hand, so a total of 2 c of liquid (with the water) in total, but next time I would probably only use 1 c of liquid in total, as it was more than needed. Nice served hot with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream