- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the onion, carrots and celery in butter for 3 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in 2-3/4 cups milk, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine the flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes longer or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Carrot Broccoli Soup
Sort By :
Lol! I just love how this recipe is featured on the front page and only one reviewer made it exactly the way it said to and gave it 5 stars! It really doesn't seem like it would be a good recipe, given that everyone else had to add or change things to make it better.
My first review did not go through so I hope it won't go twice now. But anyway: I used a leek instead if onion and fresh oregano and parsley instead of thyme. I used 2% Milk instead of skim. I partially blended with the immersion blender to hide some of the veggie chunks and thus made more a cream of broccoli soup instead of carrot and my
kids ate it:) This was suffucient to the mission I had to use up some week old organic broccoli and carrots from our CSA
getting limp in the fridge. It was a good soup. I topped off our bowls with some shredded organic white cheddar cheese.
We really enjoyed this soup. We added Italian spice instead of thyme. This recipe makes 4 servings; however, there is not enough to have seconds which is very important to the men in my family. In the future we will double the recipe, and add potatoes and chicken. This recipe has the potential to be changed in many ways. Very good!!
the thyme was overpowering to the bland sweet soup. so i added red pepper pdr. and parmesan cheese-still just ok
This was ok but it is missing somthing in the flavor. I added some wild rice and it helped