- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Gala or other sweet apples (about 6 medium)
- 18 caramels, unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Pour into a greased 12-in. ovenproof skillet.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix brown sugar and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans and oats; sprinkle over batter. Top with apples. Bake 60-70 minutes or until apples are golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt caramels with buttermilk; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Let stand until set. If desired, serve with ice cream. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCaramel-Apple Skillet Buckle
"Turned out great and really yummy! I made mine in my large cast iron skillet. My husband is not a fan of nuts or oats so I left those ingredients out of 1/2 the buckle. I should have made the entire recipe with both because I couldn't pick out either flavor on the side that had them."
"Very good way to use up several ripe apples! I didn't care for the way the apples looked since they baked on top of the streusel, so as soon as it came out of the oven, I covered the whole thing with the caramel topping (and I had jarred caramel topping, so I used it liberally). The caramel melted right into the apples and the cake and gave it a great appearance and made for a delicious cake. Next time, I think I will put the apples on top of the batter and then cover with the streusel."
"I had never made or eaten a buckle.I made it as written except I didn't have an ovenproof skillet so I used an 8x8 pan.I also didn't use the Caramels but used caramel ice cream topping.It was good but I didn't think it was 5 star worthy.I thought it was more like a coffee cake than a dessert cake.I probably wont make this Again."
"This was a hit!!! so amazing family loved it!!"
"I love all the ingredients so I had to try it, easy to make & delicious, I cut back on Carmel & used Carmel dip on top, it worked well , impressive in the skillet!"
"It's delicious wouldn't change the receipe at all."
"everything i have tried of your recipes have been great. can not wait to try this one.thanks"