For a perfect fall treat, mix spice cake and apples with frosting to form cake balls. Then dip them in caramel coating, and let the kids go nuts, rolling them in peanuts.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 packages (11 ounces each) Kraft caramel bits
- 1/4 cup water
- 39 lollipop sticks
- 1 cup finely chopped salted peanuts
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, adding the apples after mixing. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake according to package directions. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Crumble one cake layer into a large bowl. (Save remaining cake for another use.) Add brown sugar mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Arrange on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Freeze for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- In a large saucepan, combine caramel bits and water. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Dip ends of lollipop sticks into caramel and insert into cake balls. Dip balls in caramel; roll bottoms in peanuts. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 39 cake pops.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Cake Pops in Country Woman October/November 2011, p46
Reviews for Caramel Apple Cake Pops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review