- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen corn
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and green onions in oil for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Gradually add water; bring to a boil. Add the corn, sausage, ham, tomatoes, tomato paste, cayenne, salt and pepper sauce.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Cajun Corn Soup in Taste of Home August/September 1993, p35
Reviews for Cajun Corn Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2011
"It seemed like it needed much more water, particularly to get 12-14 servings. I used about 5 cups."