- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a stockpot, cook the cabbage, celery and onion in water until tender. Add bouillon, salt, pepper, beef and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and ketchup; simmer another 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Reviews for Cabbage Soup
Sort By :
"Some of the comments are about the amount of pepper. I have seen this in print elsewhere and the pepper is "to taste" - NOT 2 tsp. Make this adjustment and I think you will be pleased."
"This was an awesome recipe! My 10 year old daughter can't quit raving about it! Thank you. :)"
"EXCELLENT with the following modifications: reduce salt and pepper to 1 tsp each. I believe using the ketchup and brown sugar enhance the flavor and will continue to use them. A soup that is easy to make and a recipe that will be kept and used often. Highly recommend to anyone who likes cabbage."
"This is a great, simple soup recipe for cold nights. However, I agree with other reviewers who said the salt, sugar & pepper is too much. Leave out the brown sugar, and wait until the end to add salt & pepper a little at a time. IMO the other ingredients provide enough salt, and you shouldn't need more than half a teaspoon of pepper."