- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a stockpot, cook the cabbage, celery and onion in water until tender. Add bouillon, salt, pepper, beef and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and ketchup; simmer another 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Reviews for Cabbage Soup
"I lost 30 lbs in 3 months eating this soup AND it wasn't hard because it is DELICIOUS. I just replace the ground beef with ground turkey. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this recipe."
"I risked making several changes. Luckily, it ended outstandingly. This will be a regular for sure. I split the recipe in half. Cooked 1/2 a cabbage, 1 onion and 1 stick celery in 1 can beef stock and added enough water to cover (approx 2 or 3 cups water). Added 1 rounded tsp Mrs. Dash. Simmered 20-30 min til just tender. Added only one 8oz can tomato sauce, 1 Tbsp ketchup and only 1/2 tsp salt. it was a bit peppery from Mrs. Dash, so i ended up adding 3 rounded Tablespoons of brown sugar to taste. I also added 1 cup half and half and used a hand blender to smooth out about half of it. The end result: bright, sweet, rich, WONDERFUL! :) No meat included."
"Some of the comments are about the amount of pepper. I have seen this in print elsewhere and the pepper is "to taste" - NOT 2 tsp. Make this adjustment and I think you will be pleased."
"This was an awesome recipe! My 10 year old daughter can't quit raving about it! Thank you. :)"