- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a stockpot, cook the cabbage, celery and onion in water until tender. Add bouillon, salt, pepper, beef and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and ketchup; simmer another 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Reviews for Cabbage Soup
Sort By :
"This was an awesome recipe! My 10 year old daughter can't quit raving about it! Thank you. :)"
"EXCELLENT with the following modifications: reduce salt and pepper to 1 tsp each. I believe using the ketchup and brown sugar enhance the flavor and will continue to use them. A soup that is easy to make and a recipe that will be kept and used often. Highly recommend to anyone who likes cabbage."
"This is a great, simple soup recipe for cold nights. However, I agree with other reviewers who said the salt, sugar & pepper is too much. Leave out the brown sugar, and wait until the end to add salt & pepper a little at a time. IMO the other ingredients provide enough salt, and you shouldn't need more than half a teaspoon of pepper."
"Not too sure about this recipe. First off, 2 tsp. of pepper is WAY too much. I used just one, and the taste of pepper is overwhelming. I like spice very much, but I wanted cabbage soup, not pepper soup. Second, I wish I had left the brown sugar out. As one person noted, the ketchup already has sugar in it. With the brown sugar too, my soup tastes quite sweet. And that's kind of gross. I think this recipe would be fine, but with a few adjustments."
"excellent for basic but i added the carrots and pesto as well as italian sausage and it became italian cabbage sou lol it was excellent then too!"