VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange juice and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; press evenly onto bottom and up sides of greased or foil-lined mini-muffin cups. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool in pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Meanwhile, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth. Cool slightly. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until ganache thickens to a spreading consistency, stirring occasionally. Pipe onto cookie cups. Refrigerate in airtight containers.
Freeze option: Freeze shaped balls of dough on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator overnight. Bake and decorate cookies as directed. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Buttery Ganache Cookie Cups in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016