- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 to 3 cups buttercream frosting
- Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; set aside. In a microwave, melt butterscotch chips and water at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in butterscotch mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in evaporated milk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in chips and butter. Stir in pecans and coconut. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Top with second layer and remaining filling. Frost sides with buttercream frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Butterscotch Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p74
Reviews for Butterscotch Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 2, 2013
Delicious! The filling/topping is decadent - made it as a birthday cake and everyone enjoyed it!