Butternut Orzo Risotto Recipe
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place squash in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add orzo and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Carefully stir in 1 cup warm broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and orzo is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the herbs, cooked squash and remaining pepper; heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired; serve immediately. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Orzo Risotto
Sort By :
Enjoyed this very much. I used about a half-tablespoon of minced garlic from a jar. Be sure to use small pieces of squash. I had some larger pieces about 1" square and their flavor overwhelmed the more delicate flavor of the pasta.
Garlic is referenced in directions, but not in the ingredients. How much garlic?
Delicious. Absolutely delicious. This is the kind of food I dream of finding in a restaurant, and today I found it in my kitchen.
This was amazing! I used dried seasonings and could have used half the amount. Even still....it was delicious. Will definately make again!
This was easy and delicious!!!
More Recipe Collections
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Side Dishes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pasta Side Dish Recipes >
- Pasta Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >