“I always set aside some of my fresh-picked blueberries to make this quick and easy dessert,” says Leona Luecking, West Burlington, Iowa. Lemon flavor sparks the fruit layer and the tender cake.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in sugar until dissolved. Add 1 teaspoon lemon peel. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Arrange blueberries in a single layer over top; set aside.
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Stir in the remaining lemon peel. Carefully pour over blueberries.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Lemon Cake in Country Woman June/July 2007, p35
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Blueberry Lemon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review