- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in sour cream. Add macaroni; toss to coat. In a small skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown. Sprinkle over top. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Bistro Mac & Cheese
Sort By :
"Very delicious! We loved all the different cheeses and we even added BACON! Yum! I will say when it cooled it became a little dry so it would be nice to find a way to keep it creamy longer, but overall SUPER yummy!"
"A cheese lovers delight"
"Very good. I loved all the combo"s of cheeses. Can't wait to have the leftovers today !!!!!!!"
"Oh My!!! That's all I can say! This was an amazingly cheesy dish without being so upsthick you can't eat it! Nothing says comfort food like Mac and Cheese and this was great! for alittle more smoky flavor I topped with some bacon crumbles and put under the broiler for about 7 minutes to crisp up the bacon and bread topping."
"The TOH Feb./Mar 2010 listed the recipe for the butter this way. The butter is NOT divided. You use all of the 3 Tbsp. The 2nd part of the directions that use the remaining butter was for a Crumb Topping. The 2010 TOH listed this topping as: Combine 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs & 2 Tbsp. melted butter. You placed the macaroni mixture in a greased 3-qt. baking dish and sprinkled the crumb mixture over the macaroni. Baked uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. YOU can cook this recipe as show. NOW for the 4 oz. & 8 oz. cheese. Look at a package of cheese and you will see that 8 oz. of cheese will have 2 cups listed. You are thinking about the liquid form for ounces. So 4 oz. will be 1 cup."