- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in sour cream. Add macaroni; toss to coat. In a small skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown. Sprinkle over top. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Bistro Mac & Cheese
"Your ratios are all wrong. It is soup. I had to simmer it down for 3-4 times what your instructions outline. I know there is always variable like equipment and actual temperatures. Not that you had detail instructions. I had to add more cheese, flour and butter to make it close to edible. Letting is sit for 20 minuets finally got the consistency right. Soup. Only thing I would ever take from this is the ingredients to use but not the amounts."
"Everyone loved it!!"
"I wanted so bad to like this and I did, however, the taste was so subtle I could hardly tell there was cheese in it. It was very creamy not dry..but next time I was thinking of doubling the cheddar cheese and halving the recipe. By the way, shredded cheese in the bag is usually 8 ounces and contains 2 cups...8 ounces of LIQUID is 1 cup. Correct lonemomma!"
"Very delicious! We loved all the different cheeses and we even added BACON! Yum! I will say when it cooled it became a little dry so it would be nice to find a way to keep it creamy longer, but overall SUPER yummy!"
"A cheese lovers delight"