- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate curls, optional
- Line three 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chips and butter over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Best Chocolate Cake
"I just made this cake. I baked it in a 9X13 pan for about 25-30 minutes. The recipe makes a ton of frosting. I didn't even use half of it to frost the cake. I don't know how the cake tastes, but the frosting is a very tasty. I put the rest of it in the freezer for another use."
"This cake was just OK. I did love the frosting recipe. I made cupcakes so I could freeze them. I think my all time favorite chocolate cake is the German Chocolate cake. I haven't been able to find anything that matches."
"Has anyone made this in a oblong cake pan instead of a layer cake?"
"This cake was so good! I will definitely make it again.. it was the "best" homemade cake I've made thus far."
"I love this recipe. I use for cupcakes and cake. Every time I make it, I get asked for the recipe. And I've made it many, many times. And the cupcakes freeze fabulously."
"This was the best chocolate cake i`ve ever had. If ur baking powder is old the cake will not rise. So make sure u check it before making the cake."
"I made the recipe exactly as stated and my cake was dry and the frosting way too sweet. It is a thin batter and it doesnt rise in the oven which leaves you with three very small layers. I cooked it for 20 min (directions say 20-25 min) I usually make the hersheys magic cake with coffee. I will not make this again."
"Last weekend I have used this cake recipe to make Chocolate Tuxedo cake for the housewarming party of my good friend. Awesomeness moist,rich,cakerie flavoury to die for as many invitees has said OH MY GOD!! now this cake is famous for! will use it again!! thanks a bunch!"
"Made this yesterday with my 3 kids, 7 and younger, and it was simple. Turned out delicious. Rich for me, but everyone else loved it. Definitely need a glass of milk. :) Will definitely make this again. Wonderful to have a light, moist chocolate cake made from scratch. Thank you for sharing!"
"I made this for Mother's Day and it was wonderful! I used only 1 1/2 cups sugar and it was still sweet and yummy. Also used fat free milk and fat free sour cream just to make it healthier. It was great because the frosting is not overly rich but a perfect compliment to the moist and chocolatey cake."