- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate curls, optional
- Line three 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chips and butter over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Best Chocolate Cake
"I just made this cake. I baked it in a 9X13 pan for about 25-30 minutes. The recipe makes a ton of frosting. I didn't even use half of it to frost the cake. I don't know how the cake tastes, but the frosting is a very tasty. I put the rest of it in the freezer for another use."
"This cake was just OK. I did love the frosting recipe. I made cupcakes so I could freeze them. I think my all time favorite chocolate cake is the German Chocolate cake. I haven't been able to find anything that matches."
"Has anyone made this in a oblong cake pan instead of a layer cake?"
"This cake was so good! I will definitely make it again.. it was the "best" homemade cake I've made thus far."
"I love this recipe. I use for cupcakes and cake. Every time I make it, I get asked for the recipe. And I've made it many, many times. And the cupcakes freeze fabulously."