Basil Jelly Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 5 cups sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring water and basil to a boil. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain and discard basil. Return 3-2/3 cups liquid to the pan. Stir in pectin and food coloring if desired. Return to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir in the sugar. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the
- heat; skim off foam.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 half-pints.
Reviews for Basil Jelly(6)
Sort By :
I haven't tried this but as a cook throwing out the basil is like loosing all the flavor. I would find a good red pepper jelly recipe and just substitute the basil
I would actually give this recipe minus stars. The concept was so mouthwatering but the actual product was a huge disappointment and a waste of my precious basil crop. The liquid that was to be used for the jelly was similar to water that you toss after cooking fresh vegetables. I have anticipated making this jelly since my sister forwarded a copy of the recipe to me, months ago. I have now chucked the recipe. I will be very cautious about trying another recipe for basil jelly any time soon. I just tear up when I think of the basil that was wasted and the lovely pesto that could have been made with it. FYI I am not a novice at jelly making. Family and friends always look forward to gifts of my jams and jellies.
I made this using Thai Basil and purple basil and it was outstanding! I looked high and low for Thai Basil for the garden this year just so I could make lots more jelly. I used the Thai Basil jelly to make Lemon Thai Basil Thumbprint Cookies. Oh my! Fabulous! Just make lemon thumbprint cookies and add a dollop of Thai Basil jelly as your jelly/jam. I can't wait to make more purple basil jelly to try with the lemon thumbprint cookies. One of these days I will have to also make it with "ordinary" sweet basil. Excellent jelly recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Basil is my fav herb and I love anything made with basil. and this recipe really delighted my taste buds
We have not tasted this yet, but the aroma in the kitchen was wonderful! The color was beautiful! The novelty of the basil as a jelly is enticing. We can't wait for it to set up and cool down.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Appetizers >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cold Appetizer Recipes >
- Cold Finger Food Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dip Recipes >
- Easy Appetizer Recipes >
- Easy Appetizers >
- Easy Finger Foods >
- Easy Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Irish Appetizers >
- Irish Recipes >
- Jams, Jellies & Preserves Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >