- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, halved
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in the water, broth, barley, bay leaf and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook on high for 10-20 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Barley Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
"This recipe will be one of my meatless Monday recipes I put in my book. Even the carnivores in my family enjoyed this soup with a side salad. It may have been low in calorie, but it was surprisingly filling. I loved how easy it was to make. Vegetable soups can be time consuming to make with all the chopping and saut?ing,. This was quick recipe to prep because there was no saut?ing . and the addition of some frozen vegetables saved even more prep time.I am usually not a fan of frozen vegetables in soup, but it was fine in this recipe."
"I love, love, love this soup. Tastes great! There is nothing I don't like about it. I will make it numerous times this winter I am sure."
"Very light, yet satisfying. I guess, sweet potato and carrot made this soup a bit too sweet, so I had to add more of the tomatoes at the end."