"Mom used this sweet frosting for all of our family's birthday cakes," recalls Barbara Jones of Tower Hill, Illinois. "Now I use it on cakes for our three preschoolers." A big batch keeps for quite a while in the refrigerator and is cheaper than canned frosting. More Homemade Frosting Recipes»
- 2 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (32 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- Food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening, creamer and extract until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Add enough water to reach desired consistency. If desired, add food coloring.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature before spreading. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Bakery Frosting in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p50
Reviews for Bakery Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review