- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan, bring water and cornmeal to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in molasses and butter. Cool to 110°-115°.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cornmeal mixture, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until browned (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Anadama Bread
Sort By :
"This is wonderful bread! I had not tried it but took a chance and made it for a luncheon for my art class. They loved it and I was thrilled... Tastes great, looks good and is easy to make. My only problem was in getting it to rise; I wound up heating some water, putting a cake rack on the pan, then put the bowl of bread on the rack and covered it with a towel. Very good results."