- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugars. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Amish Sugar Cookies
"I made these last week, rave reviews and so easy. Makes a big batch to share. It's a keeper."
"These were unbelievably good! Easy to make but I would cut the amount of sugar a bit. My grandchildren loved them ! Terry (Bronxville NY)"
"Only had 1/2 the cream of tardar so put in 1 teas lemon juice like some of the others. Very good as is but plan on icing them when they are completely cooled:-)"
"I don't know how anyone could call these a dry cookie unless they forgot to add the oil. They are wonderful! My granddaughter and I are baking a batch right now and just sampled them from the oven a few minutes ago. Excellent! We are also using a glass to flatten them before baking. I can't wait to try them using almond extract instead of vanilla. Thank you Sylvia for a wonderful, versatile cookie recipe!"
"I must have done something wrong... I made these last night and they were very dry and had almost no flavor. I followed the recipe exactly. Any suggestions?"