- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugars. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews forAmish Sugar Cookies
"I followed this recipe to the letter. they look just like the picture, but they are completely tasteless. ugh"
"I just made these, fantastic. Even though I used regular sugar, they melt in your mouth. I added salt because I used unsalted butter, great"
"These are the most delicious cookies ever--just remember--do not add salt--I have to watch the cooking time more so with these cookies--they crisp up as they cool down--"
"This is the recipe I always use. I also use it for my snickerdoodles. Everyone loves them."
"I live on the Island of Moorea across the 'sea of moons' from Tahiti. I use Tahitian Vanilla from the Islands of Tahaa and Huahine. I take the beans, split them, and soak in Tahitian Dark Rum for a year. Double dose on these cookies and I can't make them fast enough."
"These cookies melt in your mouth! I even forgot to add the confectioners sugar and they were great, lol, next time I will make them with it!"
"Made these and my son couldn't get enough of them. He took some to school for his teacher and classmates. We will be making plenty of these in the future!!!"