- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forAmish Breakfast Casserole
"The whole family loves this! When I've brought this dish for potluck gatherings, literally EVERYONE asks for the recipe."
"This is one of our favorite recipes. We like it with ham...good way to use leftovers. I'm going to do what one other reviewer did, and try ricotta cheese this time, since I have some I need to use. Thanks for recipe."
"Very delicious. I cut the recipie in half and used an 8X8 baking dish. I assembled it the night before and popped it in the oven this morning."
"Cooking 1 pound of bacon and a medium onion together does not work. Onion burns before the bacon is crisp (on medium heat). Do them separately or start the bacon well before adding the onion!"
"My mom has made this for years and is the "go to" recipe when all of the family is over for breakfast! EXCELLENT!!"
"I used to make this several years ago. We really enjoyed it."
"A definite keeper! I've made this for gatherings of both family and friends. This recipe is HIT and I make it just as the recipe identifies. Guests always ask for the recipe."
"I have two breakfast casseroles that I traditionally make and this one is hands down the favorite. Based on the good reviews, I used my Sunday School class as guinea pigs and made this recipe because it is enough to feed a group. There was not one bite left and many request for the recipe. I did put together the casserole the day before and took it out the next morning to bake. I needed about 5 minutes more baking time (45 minutes total). Also, based on some of the other reviewers suggestions I added a small can of diced green chiles which added perfect flavor. Overall this dish is a winner."