- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Amish Breakfast Casserole
"I have two breakfast casseroles that I traditionally make and this one is hands down the favorite. Based on the good reviews, I used my Sunday School class as guinea pigs and made this recipe because it is enough to feed a group. There was not one bite left and many request for the recipe. I did put together the casserole the day before and took it out the next morning to bake. I needed about 5 minutes more baking time (45 minutes total). Also, based on some of the other reviewers suggestions I added a small can of diced green chiles which added perfect flavor. Overall this dish is a winner."
"This sounds wonderful. Does anyone know if it can be put together and then frozen for later use?"
"I have made this several times, and it is so good. I took it to an Easter brunch we had at church, and there wasn't even a crumb left! I got asked for the recipe a lot.I agree with andreasmom2u, Mary needs to make the recipe before commenting."
"Mary, did you even make this?! It sounds like you didn't based on your comment. If that's the case, you have no right reviewing it. This is a wonderful breakfast treat. Please keep your negativity and baseless commentary to yourself."
"This sounds good but way too many fat calories from the cheese."
"This was great! I used ricotta instead of cottage cheese. Yummy, everyone except my daughter enjoyed it, but she hates almost everything."
"Made with sausage instead of bacon. Did not thaw hash browns and made the night before. Refrigerated overnight. Very good!"