All creatures of All Hallows' Eve are sure to delight in this treat with its unexpected surprise. You can use store-bought frosting to keep prep simple.. —Beverly Nowling, Bristol, Florida
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon orange paste food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 to 5 tablespoons evaporated milk
- Assorted decorations: regular and Mega M&M's, Laffy Taffy, Candy Corn, Mega Buttons, Oreo Cookies, sprinkles, pretzels, marshmallows and edible pens
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; let stand 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate, covered, until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, egg whites, oil and food coloring; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Fill prepared cups three-fourths full. Top with 2 teaspoons chocolate mixture. Bake 18-22 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Beat in melted chocolate and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Frost cupcakes. Decorate as desired.
Originally published as Black & Orange Halloween Cupcakes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016