Cream-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Whole cloves, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs until well blended. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until well blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla if desired. Gradually add cornstarch mixture, beating until smooth, 3-5 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle 1 in. deep in the top of each cupcake. Carefully remove tops and set aside. Spoon or pipe filling into cupcakes. Replace tops. If desired, add a clove "pumpkin stem" to the tops.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 397 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 31, 2019
I haven't met anyone who doesn't like these - even if they don't care for pumpkin pie or bars. I've given up on trying to make the filling for this recipe and just use a simple cream cheese frosting - much quicker and still taste amazing. I tried the filling 3 times and it only turned out once so I'm done trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Sep 27, 2017
Such a great cupcake ! We Love pumpkin . I never made creme filled anything because I thought they'd be to difficult. These are easy and so tastey .The creme is not to sweet, just right. Next time I May add a little flavor to the creme for a bit of a tweak. My family loved them.
Sep 20, 2016
Have made these ever since I saw the recipe in Country Women years ago. Whole family loves them. Have used different fillings, added different spices, as previous reviewers have. Had no problems with original filling. Fun and delicious!
Sep 12, 2016
I have made these cupcakes several times over the years. They are delicious and very moist. The cream filling tastes good and has a light texture that goes well with the cupcakes, but it always ends up a little separated and does not look appealing (most likely because of the shortening). In the future I'm going to experiment with the cream filling to see what I can do to keep the texture and flavor but nix the separation.
Oct 31, 2015
Oct 15, 2015
Jan 11, 2015
These were a hit with my family. They are very moist. I used 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon in the batter. I used a little less sugar in the batter, but still found them a bit too sweet. Next time I would cut it down to 1 2/3 cup sugar. After reading the comments, I chose to make my regular cream cheese icing instead of the one on the original recipe.I have made these several times since. They freeze well.
Sep 30, 2014
These are excellent! I put bailey's irish cream cheese frosting on them! These will definitely go into my make again file!
Dec 7, 2013
I've been making these cupcakes for several years now, they are my family's favorite, very moist and flavorful...for the frosting in the middle however I use a cream cheese filling, one (8oz) cream cheese, one cup powdered sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, one teaspoon of vanilla, mix all together and pipe in cupcakes..
Nov 20, 2013
The cupcakes were excellent, but I could not figure out how to get the frosting to come together. Somewhere between the cornstarch, the milk and the shortening something went awry. But they were excellent with Cool Whip frosting from the freezer. I would make again, but look for a different frosting recipe.