Texan Ranch Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, celery and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chicken, soups, tomatoes and chili powder.
- Line the bottom of a 3-qt. baking dish with half of the tortilla strips; top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 329 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 719mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Nov 13, 2018
Family loved this! Made exactly as written, except I used two cans of cream of celery soup. This was gone in no time. We garnished ours with a dollop of sour cream, salsa and sliced pickled jalapenos. Very tasty.....great comfort food! This one will definitely find its way back to our table!
Dec 12, 2017
Great flavor to this dish. Everyone seemed to like it but the leftovers were not eaten, so maybe it wasn't that big a hit.
Feb 7, 2016
I may have done something wrong, but we did not like this at all. Very runny
Jan 6, 2016
This was a big hit with my family. My husband loves Mexican food so I added a tablespoon of taco seasoning instead of the chili powder. Served with a dollop of sour cream and pickled jalapenos and a salad on the side. Awesome recipe! Thanks Kendra!
Aug 31, 2015
This is great and easy. Make sure you have a big pan for the saute portion of the cooking process (such as a 4qt essential pan from William Sonoma). I think adding sweet corn cut fresh off the cob might add some sweetness and texture to the dish. Also, sprinkling the top layer of cheese with panko bread crumbs helps soak up excess moisture and adds a much needed crunch. Broiling for 2-5 min (depending on your oven) can make a nice caramelized cheese finish. I had seconds. Thanks for posting :)
Feb 20, 2015
It tasted great but mine came out very runny. I thought I made a mistake by not draining the tomatoes but it says not to. I would have to make a side dish of rice to soak it up.
Oct 19, 2014
Fantastic! Admittedly, I changed the recipe somewhat based on other reviews. Four cups of shredded chicken to make it heartier, two large red peppers but no celery, cream of mushroom instead of cream of celery and added 1/3 cup of chopped pickled jalapenos. My husband isn't a big fan of casseroles but really liked this one. I didn't use the fat-free, low-sodium versions but will try next time, there is plenty of flavor to try that.
Feb 18, 2014
I made this a few weeks ago and WOW!I don't know why some reviews say dull and no flavor because with in 5 minutes of hitting the table it was gone. Lots of flavor. Their taste buds must be dead. Loved this and I am making this again tonight. Making 2 this time as they seemed not to get enough last time. LOLThank you so much!!!!
Jan 22, 2014
It was really good and easy to make. I don't like celery so I used cream of chicken soup instead of cream of celery and also left out the celery. It still tasted great with plenty of flavor.
Dec 31, 2013
VERY good!! There are many variations of this recipe. I combined this with another "Southwestern Casserole" from Southern Living Magazine. I added about 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapeno from a can; 2 cloves of garlic; cream of mushroom for the celery soup; 8 corn tortillas - all variations from this recipe. I also used 3+ cups of chicken which was coarsely chopped. I also threw in some sauteed mushrooms that I had leftover.