- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 48 M&M miniature baking bits
- 192 pieces black licorice (3 inches)
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill 24 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, cocoa, butter and milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to 110°. Beat with a wooden spoon until thickened and mixture begins to lose its gloss, about 8 minutes.
- Cut marshmallows in half widthwise; place a half on each cupcake. Frost marshmallow and top of cupcake. Dip cupcakes in chocolate sprinkles. Place a dab of frosting on each baking bit and press on cupcakes for eyes. For spider legs, use a metal or wooden skewer to poke four holes on opposite sides of cupcakes; insert a piece of licorice into each hole. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forSpider Cupcakes
"Outstanding & very creative. It was a hit in my Halloween party. I used an Ina Garten chocolate cupcake recipe.Great job!Alida"
"I made these for my grandson with gluton free browine cupcakes there where a big hitThanks for the fun recipeHolly D Tacoma Wa"
"These cupcakes tasted good, but... the icing and sprinkles ran off the sides of the cake and the black licorice was not able to be found."
"These were a breeze to prepare, and if you want to omit the marshmallow, fill the cupcake tin more for a higher cupcake. Kathy B., Tonawanda, NY"
"I actually wanted to make them for the volunteer work that I do but could not find that kind of licorice in any store in my area."
"this was a fun cupcake to make however the chocolate sauce was not as tasty as i would have liked. i could not find the pull apart licorice so i bought regular black licorice and made bat wings instead of spider legs. They easily became bat wings instead of spider legs!"
"I Love all the Recipes, keep sending them!!!!"