With chocolate bodies and licorice legs, these cute spiders on cobwebs will "catch" attention fast! They're easy to scare up, too—our Test Kitchen simply put a Halloween spin on cupcakes baked from a purchased mix. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon 2% milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and yellow liquid food coloring or orange paste food coloring
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- Round pastry tip #3
- 9 chocolate kisses
- 9 semisweet chocolate chips
- Black shoestring licorice, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 18 white nonpareils
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Fill greased jumbo muffin cups with 1/2 cup batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Cut a thin slice off the top of each cupcake.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla; mix well. Remove 1 cup; tint orange and frost cupcakes. To the remaining frosting, add baking cocoa and remaining milk. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip. Fill with chocolate frosting. Pipe a web on each cupcake; set remaining frosting aside.
- For spider, insert chocolate kiss, point side down, next to edge of cupcake. Insert chocolate chip, point side down, next to kiss. Place 4 licorice pieces on each side of kiss. For eyes, pipe 2 small circles of chocolate frosting on chocolate chip; insert nonpareils.