Roasted Orange Turkey
I like to bake my turkey a little different every year, so I came up with an orange mixture to rub under the skin. It gives the meat a delicate orange flavor that tastes even better the next day. —Brenda Brooks, Bowie, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours + standing
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large navel orange, quartered
- 1 large apple, quartered
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, orange zest and ginger. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub some of the butter mixture under skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Rub remaining butter mixture inside turkey cavity; fill with orange, apple and onion. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Carefully pour juices over turkey.
- Bake, uncovered, 3 to 3-3/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and let stand 20 minutes before carving. Discard fruit and onion from cavity. Skim fat and thicken pan juices if desired.