Roast Duck with Orange Glaze
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
Makes4 servings (4 cups stuffing)
- 1 domestic duck (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch dried thyme
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups crushed seasoned stuffing
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 drop hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle inside of duck with caraway seeds; prick skin all over with a fork. In a large skillet, sauté vegetables in oil. Stir in broth, seasonings and stuffing.
- Loosely stuff duck with stuffing mixture. Skewer neck opening; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Place breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 2-1/2 to 3-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the duck and 165° for the stuffing. Drain fat from pan as it accumulates. Cover loosely with foil if duck browns too quickly. Cover and let stand 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugars, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in orange juice, zest and hot pepper sauce until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with duck.
Nutrition Facts8 ounces cooked meat with 1 cup stuffing: 1039 calories, 54g fat (18g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 1377mg sodium, 93g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 5g fiber), 42g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 14, 2019
I needed an orange sauce in a pinch as my duck was already almost done roasting. The sauce turned out great! I used more sugar and more cornstarch because I like thicker and sweeter orange sauce. Thank you!