Raisin Sheet Cookies
Looking for a quick sheet cookie for crowds? This delicately spiced, moist variation is kid-tested...and grandkid-tested.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Confectioners' sugar icing, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine raisins and water; bring to a boil. Drain; reserve 1 cup liquid and set raisins aside.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar; add eggs. Add baking soda to raisin liquid. Sift together flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; add alternately with raisin liquid to creamed mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts. Spread in a lightly greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. If desired, glaze with confectioners' sugar icing while hot. Cut while warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 188 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Raisin Sheet Cookies in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.