Pumpernickel Turkey Hero
Thousand Island dressing lends flavor to each bite of this hearty turkey and Swiss sandwich. —Mildred Sherrer, Bay City, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced pumpernickel bread
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 package (12 ounces) thinly sliced deli turkey
- Cut bread in half horizontally; spread salad dressing over cut sides. On the bottom half, layer the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, half of the cheese and half of the turkey. Top with remaining cheese and turkey. Replace bread top. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 401 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1378mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Pumpernickel Hero in Quick Cooking July/August 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.