New York Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust
Light, creamy and smooth, this traditional New York cheesecake will melt in your mouth. I rely on a tender change-of-pace shortbread crust instead of graham cracker crust. Try topping it with berries. This recipe takes time, but it's not difficult, and the result is well worth the effort. —Karen Nielson, St. George, Utah
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + chilling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Wrap foil securely around pan. Place on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar and lemon zest; cut in butter until crumbly. Add egg yolks and vanilla, tossing with a fork until mixture pulls together.
- Press onto bottom and 1-1/2 in. up sides of prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, 12-16 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in cream, flour, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Add eggs and egg yolks; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust. Place springform pan in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake until center is just set and top appears dull, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove foil. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight, covering when completely cooled. Remove rim of pan.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 596 calories, 37g fat (22g saturated fat), 222mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as New York Cheese Cake with Triple Berry Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017